Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Fool on the Hill


I am going to let my blog take a left turn away from its historic business focus and settle back into observations about the mind in a relaxed and creative state and what that means to a community.
I live across the street from a lovely little park. This park was the dream of city planners somewhere (more on that later) and less than 5 years ago it was a desolate lifeless parking lot.  Now it’s a beautiful tree filled park on the banks of the Mississippi, situated in the heart of the city and a high art district.
From my balcony, I have a perfect view of the park and it’s inhabitants. It’s not large but at its center is a hill with a gentle path spiraling around it top to bottom. As I write, there are lovers resting on the side of this hill, whispering quietly. On the top of the hill are new parents with their infant child enjoying a view of the river. At its feet, kick ball and Frisbee practitioners chase moving targets and circling the perimeter are a variety of athletic bicyclers, joggers, dog walkers and gaily-dressed theatre goers.
I have a front row seat on humanity at its gentlest most serene and most intense state of daydream. These actors are fully awake but their imaginations are overflowing with visions and these are the dreams I will follow thru the summer.
From the kite flyers to the tail-gaters, the actors rehearsing to the lovers enchanting they fill my stage with the sweetest element of humanity. There is also a mystery here. I have lived alongside parks before, but this one is special. Because of my perch and 3 large dogs who need regular exercise, I experience this park at all hours of the day and night and I can tell you that the night life is as rich, peaceful and as enchanted as the daylight hours.  I intend to spend the summer contemplating this perfection and trying to unearth why this park has magic.
I would be interested in hearing your park stories too. What you see, how you feel, why it a park is different. Where you see the sun going down. Where see the world spinning ‘round.
And if you still need a digital reference, check out this post on using mobile to transform your park experience. 

No comments: